Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My (not so) Mini Library--My Mini Book Reviews!

I have tons of books in my room. I took pictures of all the ones on my shelves. There are more downstairs, in my sister's room, and under my bed, so this is maybe just more than half. :- )
Behold--the shelf under my nightstand. We've got My Teacher is an Alien by Brue Coville, ttfn and ttyl, both by Lauren Myracle. Then there's Peeps by Scott Westerfeld, one of my favorite authors, and The Amber Spyglass, by Philip Pullman.
MTiaA is pretty much a kid's book. It's about exactly what it sounds like.
ttfn and ttyl are the first two books in a series of 3. They're hilarious, but Myracle is definitely not an author for younger children, and I don't think that guys would like her books. They're just girl books. The cool part about ttyl and ttfn (the order they go in in the series) is that they're written in IM format, which can be good if you're not a big reader.
Peeps is a great book. Seems every author these days has a vampire book. Whatever. Peeps was written before the fad, and the "vampires" aren't exactly vampires. They're infected by a parasite that causes this. It's great how much research Westerfeld put into this, and the book is a great read. It's about a guy named Cal trying to track down his ex-girlfriends. He's got every one except the girl he was closest to, Sarah. Why does he need to do this? He's a carrier of the parasite, not affected, but he can transmit it.
Anyway, next we have The Amber Spyglass. I'll go back to that, as it's the last book in its series. As for Judy Moody... those are also kid's books, so no need to summarize them.

Now, we go to the next picture! Yes, I have too many books!
Kay. Skipping Judy Moody, as well as Invasion of the Boy Snatchers (shallow book in a series that unfortunately I've read in its entirety).
Get Well Soon, by Julie Halpern is a book about a depressed girl whose parents make her go to a mental hospital. It's funny, and an interesting read.
How to Make Four Million Dollars by Next Thursday is a really stupid book. I got it because I had read its prequel, which was, in retrospect, also pretty stupid. It's a kid's book.
How to Ditch Your Fairy, by Justine Larbalestier is an interesting book. It's about a girl named Charlie who lives in a world where people have "fairies" that help them with things. Charlie has a "good parking spot" fairy, which she hates as she can't drive and people use her to get parking spots. So as the title suggests, she tries to get rid of her fairy. I like Larbalestier's other book better, but this is still good.
Guinness World Records 2004... all I can say is don't get the paperback of this. Get the hardcover.
The next two books are in the middle of a series, so I'll go back to them when I reach book 1.
Midnight For Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo is great. It's a little bit of a kid's book, but that doesn't mean I'm not anticipating the next in the series. It's about a boy named Charlie Bone (really?) who discovers that he's "endowed" with the ability to hear what people in photographs or paintings are thinking or saying as the picture is being taken or painted. It's like Harry PotterXHeroes. Charlie starts attending Bloor's Academy, a school for children either gifted in the arts or endowed. It's a great read.

Anyway, my friend wants to come over and make a movie, so more later!

2 comments:

  1. Good post, lots of titles. In case you found anything in "The Amber Spy Glass" to sound truthful, it's not. Someone in my English class last year (the one who LOVES manga, hint hint) was talking about how he got all of his ideas about the Bible from the series. I was a bit horrified. Hope you see it as fiction, not a euphemism for Christianity. I like minny reviews like this, they're really easy to read xD It also reminds me of the second post I ever wrote about my book shelve...
    So, keep writing and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's actually where I got the idea. Sorry for sorta stealing your idea there. I've meant to do this for a while but this morning I actually got around to it.

    ReplyDelete